SA Rugby welcomes Castle Lager Rugby Championship announcement
SA Rugby has welcomed the confirmation that the Castle Lager Rugby Championship would be held in 2020, however Jurie Roux (SA Rugby CEO) cautioned that the participation of defending champions, South Africa, still had to be confirmed.
The announcement that the event would be held in Australia from 7 November to 12 December was made by SANZAAR on Friday morning.
“We are pleased that the venue has now been confirmed and would like to commend SANZAAR and Rugby Australia for their work behind the scenes to make it possible,” said Roux.
“We are very eager to see the Springboks return to play but there are still some hurdles to clear and we will be addressing those in the coming weeks.”
Roux said that SA Rugby could not confirm participation while a ban on international sporting activity remained in place in South Africa, while there were other high performance and player wellness issues to consider. He pointed out that New Zealand resumed match play three months ago while Australia had been in action for 10 weeks. By contrast, South African players only resumed contact training two weeks ago.
An announcement would be made in due course.